Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

The painting above is of the Pilgrims as they set sail for the New World. It depicts the families of our forefathers gathering around their pastor, John Robinson, for a time of prayer before they depart. A man is pictured holding an opened Bible while Robinson leads the group in asking Divine guidance and protection for their journey.

This painting accurately represents the humble, godly spirit of Puritanism, which is what I love most about Thanksgiving. There’s just something about this holiday that points my heart toward God. I hope you can say the same. As you take time to look at all the good gifts in your life, recognize that they come down from the Father of lights.

I have so much to be thankful for this year.

My wife, who is my greatest help, my dearest friend, and my deepest love.
My son, who brings such joy to our lives.
My new church, who I have the privilege of serving and caring for.
My God, who has given all these good gifts to me, but gave me the greatest gift when He gave me Himself in the person of Christ Jesus.

“I give thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart.”
Psalm 138:1

No comments: