Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Salute General Pace

The highest official in the U.S. armed services, Gen. Peter Pace, called homosexuality immoral. He said, "I believe homosexual acts between two individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts. I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is okay to be immoral in any way." This statement receives my first salute.

I don't salute him because he made a negative comment about homosexuality. That's not the goal. As Christians, we aren't to speak meanly or cruelly about homosexuals. Ann Coulter's recent comment is a prime example of what not to do. I salute Gen. Pace here not because he spoke negatively about homosexuality, but because he spoke truthfully about it. It is immoral, which is exactly why he is correct in saying the U.S. is not well served by the current policy on gays in the military.

In the aftermath of all of this, liberals and gay rights groups are calling on the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to apologize. Some have called his comment "irresponsible and offensive." House Leader Nancy Pelosi (who represents the San Fransisco area) said that she was "disappointed in the moral judgment." O, how far our country has fallen! Have mercy on us, God.

Yet despite all of this, Gen. Pace has not apologized. He did say that he regretted focusing on his personal opinions rather than on the current policy, but he did not apologize. This calls for a second salute. I don't know where this man stands with Christ, but I pray that these right convictions come from a regenerate heart. I am thankful that America has at least one man of principle leading us. Pray for Gen. Pace, pray for those who disagree with Gen. Pace, pray for homosexuals, and pray for our troops. May Christ deliver us all from the kingdom of darkness into His glorious kingdom of light.

4 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

truth has so many sides and so many interpretations. what is "true" for the religious isn't necessarily true for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

The only truth that matters is the Word and the Word is the Truth.It matters not what your interpretation is but what does the Word say about it.

The Culbertsons said...

cawfeeguy, thanks for the comment. We all come at life with certain presuppositions. Let me give you two of mine. Jesus said that He is the way, the truth, and the life. Thus, we must accept His life and teachings as ultimate Truth. He also said that God's Word is Truth. Thus, if Scripture says it, we must accept it as final truth. So that is what I'm presupposing when I come to any discussion. God's Son and the Bible are the final standards of right & wrong. If you read this again, I'd love to get your thoughts & to know what your final standards of right and wrong are.

CawfeeGuy said...

in my experience, "your" god isn't the only god. some people, myself included, don't believe in jesus as "the light and the way". it took me more than a dozen years of Roman Catholic education, and exposure to some of the most hypocritical "catholics" and "christians" to show me that what people read, how they act, and what they profess to believe in are usually completely different things.

in my experience, the true morally bereft are often the hate mongers who claim to do "christ's will"

josh, there's a link on my blog if you care to hear my thoughts.