Saturday, December 23, 2006

Home for the Holidays


This painting by Norman Rockwell is one of my favorites because it captures the joy of being with family. I know a lot of people complain that this picture isn't the way a 'real' family looks, and I must admit that is mostly true. But families ought to look like this. Grandpa & Grandma should be valued and respected by their children and grandchildren. Generations of young and old should sit down at the table and laugh together. That's what family is all about.
This Christmas, Dianna and I are going to South Carolina & Georgia to spend the holiday with our family. I consider this a blessing. I look forward to playing with my niece and nephew (the 2 most precious kids on the planet...but that title is subject to change when I have my kids!). I can't wait to go spend time with Dianna's Grandy and Papa, laughing and talking with them. Family and Christmas go hand in hand, and thank God for it. This Christmas, gather your family around you and love them. Give hugs, tell jokes, and tell them how much they mean to you. Family is certainly the second greatest gift given to us at Christmas. As for the first, well, He's what Christmas is all about.
Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

1 comment:

Roger Culbertson said...

This is a great time of the year to show the love of Christ.If you are not able to go see family and friends we should try to call them and let them know we are thinking of them .Show the Christ like Love to someone every day.Vivian and I really enjoyed having you both with us this year.